Monday, December 17, 2012

For the Love of Money!

I woke up this morning and was watching ESPN with my hubby as usual. Watching it made me think just how $$$ driven sports has become. Lakers are straight garbage right now. They spent all this $$ acquiring offensive powerhouses and have ZERO defense! (Should have at least kept Odom lol) The A’s have paid all this $$ to get Hamilton and every other “story” was about all this money being spent to ac...quire ONE “star”. Seems sports has moved away from building TEAMS and are now pinning their hopes for a championship on ONE person instead of a team of players. Instead of winning one they want to buy one.

Maybe that’s why I love college sports so much more. If you’re in my age range (I’m 43 and have been watching and playing sports since the age of 3), you remember the old school. There were always 1 or 2 marquee names but they had a crew around them that made them great. Bulls had Jordan but he had Pippin, Rodman, Corzine, Paxson, Grant, Cartwright, Armstrong, Harper and Kukoc. Celtics had Bird but he had Parrish, McHale, Ainge, Archibald, Cowens, Maxwell, Henderson, Ford and Johnson. Lakers had Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Rambis, Green, Cooper and Scott. Hawks had Dominique, Rivers, Moses, Webb, Augmon and Blaylock. Not to mention the 76’ers, Detroit, Suns and Jazz and the teams they had. Those were TEAMS! Seems the owners and GM’s may want to take a cue from Doc Rivers and see how he’s brought the “old school” back and what happens when you do. They also may want to pay attention to the NHL and what’s happening there. As much as I love basketball and played myself, I boycotted the NBA last season due to yet another strike and the “big baby whining” of the players over $$. I love football too much to boycott it but these lockouts and strikes are becoming too common place. I’ll always like the pros but college sports never have these issues. Hopefully ONE day the pros will realize that “team building” is what got them to where they are now and will be the only way they can “get back” to that point. Sadly, I doubt that will ever happen though. The lure of the almighty $$ is just too strong to overcome common sense! SMDH!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment